Monday, March 23, 2009

23 March 2009: "The People in the Background of My Life"

This post is about proletarianization. Carle sis concerned that he is lapsing in his efforts to maintain the struggle. "Sometimes I take life for granted. But then I stop to think about how EZ and awesome my own life is. I really don’t have much to worry about, yall. I don’t have any ‘real commitments.’"

Admittedly, it is disturbing to this commentator to see Carles question his dedication to the revolution. Perhaps this is merely a tactic to foreclose the possiblity of an unproductive hegemony from coming into a more labile formation. In an effort to keep his dialectic sharp, Carles enumerates the various manifestations of class privilege that impact him in a personal way on the quotidian level of being. He addresses those whom his own praxis may be regarded as exploiting, recapitulating the ways in which their class consciousness is denied and must be imputed from without (by Carles) even as their status is imposed upon them by existing relations of production.
While ur life may feel ‘menial’
and u might not even be able to grasp the concept of ‘a better life’ from my point of view,
I just want you to know that without you,
my life wouldn’t be what it is

That is to say, his struggle is their struggle, even though it is imbued with contradiction and may in fact perpetuate that struggle rather than resolve it.

1 comment:

  1. Jesus Christ. Will hipsterism ever tire of eating shit from its own asshole?

    ReplyDelete